Get Quotes from Top Contractors in West Valley, UT

How to Verify a Professional's License in West Valley?

The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) reviews over 43,000 new license applications and 108, 000 license renewal applications every year, and these include applications from eligible professionals in West Valley City. Before hiring a professional in West Valley, you should always find out if they are licensed by the DOPL. To make sure of this, you must always request proof of licensure and verify the information via the DOPL's license lookup and verification system. If you discover any falsified license information during this license verification process, you can report the implicated professional to the DOPL online or by calling (801) 530 - 6628.

After verifying a professional's license status, you should also ensure that the individual obtains the necessary permits for the job. For example, you need a building permit from the West Valley City Building Inspection Division before carrying out a home improvement or construction work in the city. You can find out more about the process and requirements for obtaining a building permit by calling the city's Building Inspection Division at (801) 963 - 3283.

Utah Contractor License Search:

Do West Valley Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations and homeowners associations do not issue permits for home improvement or construction work. These types of organizations are typically created by groups of residents, business representatives, and citizens to improve and enhance defined geographic areas within the city. Neighborhood associations and homeowners associations are concerned with improving the quality of life of people living in a community. They do this via methods like preparing neighborhood plans, emergency preparedness plans, or undertaking specific projects such as upgrading park equipment or installing traffic lights and equipment in the community. For example, the Heritage Townhomes Homeowners Association schedules annual neighborhood and property routine maintenance, which includes both short term tasks like garbage collection, landscaping, or pool treatments, as well as long term tasks like concrete work, road upkeep, or deck replacement. Most homeowners associations and neighborhood associations also ensure that houses in the neighborhood meet the highest construction standard. For example, the Sunrise Pointe Homeowners Association requires members of the community to obtain the approval of the association's Architectural Control Committee before carrying out any change, alteration, improvement, or addition to any lot within the community.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in West Valley City?

Consumer complaints in West Valley City are handled by the Division of Consumer Protection of the Utah Department of Commerce. You can file a complaint with this division online. Note that filing a consumer complaint with the division can result in investigation and possible legal action against the business in question. The Division of Consumer Protection of the Utah Department of Commerce reviews and investigates a complaint to determine the best way to resolve it. If the complaints are not very serious, the division will adopt a simple mediation process that involves the consumer and the business. However, if the business violates any section of the Utah Unfair Practices Act, such business is guilty of a misdemeanor, which is punishable by a fine of not more than $5, 000 or by imprisonment of not more than 12 months.

Residents of West Valley City must understand that filing a complaint with the division does not guarantee that they will recover the money that was lost to the business. Residents who seek full compensation for what was lost to the business can file a civil action against the business. Matters involving a total of $11, 000 or less can be filed in the Small Claims Division of the Salt Lake County Justice Court. Note that matters that exceed the aforementioned amount are outside the jurisdiction of the Small Claims Division, and it is advisable that you seek the advice of a qualified attorney on how to go about filing these types of matters. Lastly, you can also file a consumer complaint involving criminal offenses with the West Valley City Police Department online or by calling (801) 840 - 4000.